Thanks to the benevolence of founder James Millington (1661 – 1738), who was a successful draper living and working in Shrewsbury and who died without heir, the original almshouses were completed in 1749 providing 12 modest dwellings for impoverished people of the Frankwell parish.

Mr Millington died many years before the foundation stone of the almshouses was laid. Before he died he appointed trustees to carry out the wishes expressed in his voluminous 58-page will. The five original trustees were later supplemented by a further nine and this body of people was responsible for the execution of the founder’s will.

As well as constructing the almshouses the trustees were also tasked with the education of boys and girls in Frankwell and the parish of St Chad’s who were unable to afford schooling. Originally lessons took place in what is now known as the Boardroom within the original old building.

Later on separate schools for boys and girls were constructed at the end of the driveway leading up to the almshouses. The educational role of the Millington’s Charity continues to this day and takes the form of monetary grants to the under 25s in Shropshire who are in need of financial support. The role of trustees also continues to this day and the establishment is managed by a chairman and a board of 14 trustees who meet quarterly. A development of 21 new almshouses was completed in 1994 and at the same time the old building was refurbished and modernised.